Ariana Restaurant Sabzi (Pureed Spinach with Spices)
This is Afghan cuisine.
- 1 pound chopped, fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup black-eyed peas
- 1 onion
- 1 un-dried lemon (or dried, crushed lemon pieces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 10 leaves fresh cilantro
- Soak the black-eyed peas for 1 hour, then rinse.
- Boil spinach with washed black-eyed peas for 10 minutes.
- At the same time, in a saucepan, fry diced onion in vegetable oil until
soft and light brown.
- Add the garlic and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add boiled and drained spinach and black-eyed peas.
- Add dried lemon and fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro.
Mix well, cook an additional 5 minutes and serve on a long platter.
Source: Ariana Restaurant, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - owner Kadir Sultani
Pairs well with fresh bread or white rice.