Arnaud's Caramel Custard
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1/2 teaspoon best quality pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 275 degrees F.
- In a small, heavy skillet over low heat, stir the 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon
water until the sugar melts, is free of lumps and turns a light caramel color.
- Pour a spoonful into 6 four-ounce custard cups and let stand until cooled.
- Beat the eggs with the 1/4 cup sugar and add the scalded milk slowly, while
stirring. Add vanilla extract. Strain carefully into the prepared cups to avoid
disturbing the caramel.
- Place cups in a pan of hot water. The water should come almost to the top
of the cups. Cover with foil. Bake slowly, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, or until a
knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the water and cool. Chill.
- To serve, run a knife around the edge of the custard and invert the cup
onto a small plate.