Arnaud's Oysters Bienville
- 2/3 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound boiled shrimp, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely minced parsley
- 2 dozen oysters on the half shell, drained
- 4 pans rock salt
- In a large, heavy saucepan, sauté the 2/3 cup chopped mushrooms quickly
in a small amount of vegetable oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the 4 tablespoons unsalted butter and render the garlic
and shallots, stirring frequently until soft.
- Add the diced shrimp, then sprinkle in the flour. Stir all together, add
the reserved mushrooms.
- Deglaze pan with the brandy while stirring constantly.
- Stir in the heavy cream, cook until smooth before adding Romano cheese,
dry bread crumbs and parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. A small amount of milk
may be added if the mixture is too thick.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool then refrigerate for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Half an hour before you plan to bake the oysters, place the pans of rock
salt in a preheated 500 degrees F oven.
- Wash oyster shells well, pat dry. Put oysters on shells, place six in each
pan of rock salt. Spoon one heaping tablespoon of sauce over each oyster.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until well browned.