Aunt Chilada's Mexican Fry Bread (Mexican Fried Gorditas)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2/3 cup water or milk
- Oil for frying
- Filling, as desired
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and shortening; mix until shortening
- Add water; mix well.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth, about 2
- Roll dough into a ball; place into a plastic bag. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Separate and roll out enough dough to make six 4- to 6-inch thin, flat rounds.
- In a cast iron skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Place rounds in oil; cook each side 20 to 30 seconds or until light golden
- Use a slotted spoon to remove rounds from skillet; drain on paper towel.
- Fill with prepared fillings as desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Chef: Shulammite Alaniz, Aunt Chilada's, Phoenix, Arizona
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes