Aunt Chilada's Red Chile Tamales
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 1/2 pounds masa
- 1 pound lard
- 1 ounce salt
- 1 ounce baking powder
- 1/4 pound red chile pods (hot or mild)
- 1/2 gallon hot water
- 1 (4 pound) beef roast
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic to taste
- Corn husks, soaked in water until softened, then drained and wiped dry
- In a mixer or by hand, combine masa, lard, salt and baking powder until
- Deseed the chile pods, then soak the pods in hot water until soft.
- Puree the soft chile pods.
- Boil roast with salt, pepper and garlic until beef is cooked through.
- Remove beef; shred. Reserve the beef broth.
- Mix red chile puree with shredded beef.
- Add reserved beef broth until moist.
- Spread masa in a corn husk.
- Place about 1 1/2 ounces beef in the center of the masa.
- Fold over sides of tamale, then wrap tamale in wax paper.
- Place tamales in steamer pot, cover and cook 45 minutes or until the tamales
Yield: 3 dozen tamales
Source: Chef Rafael Torres, Aunt Chilada's, Phoenix, Arizona - azfamily.com
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes