A & W Coney Island Sauce
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 5 pounds hamburger
- 64 ounces Hunt's
- 64 ounces Hunt's Tomato Puree
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
tablespoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt
- Brown hamburger and onions in a very large skillet; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 1/2 hours, stirring frequently
as it will tend to stick.
This freezes very well.
To get that authentic taste, use only Kogel franks and rehydrate dry minced onions
in boiling water.