B-44 Bistro Arros Negre (Black Rice)
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound fresh squid, cleaned and cut up
- 1 pack squid ink
- 1 pound cuttlefish, cleaned and cut up
- 18 clams
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 to 2 cups rice, preferably Spanish brand
- 1/2 pound peas, fresh or frozen
- 4 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped Salt, as needed
- 4 to 6 cups fish stock with squid ink
- Homemade aioli (garlic mayonnaise)
- In a paella pan, sauté the onions and peppers slowly to begin your sofrito.
- When ready, add 1/2 of the garlic; sauté.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until thick. This is your sofrito. Remove to a
bowl and set aside.
- In the same paella pan, sauté the squid and cuttlefish, along with the rest
of the garlic, and when 1/2 cooked, add the rice and let cook for a few minutes.
Add the sofrito, and then start ladling in the hot fish stock to which you have
added all the squid ink. Add ladles of stock as each is absorbed.
- When the rice is nearly cooked, add the clams and green peas. Let cook and
it should be ready once the clams open.
- Top with a spoon of aioli.
Yield: 6 servings
To get a better color and flavor out of the squid ink, pound the ink in
a mortar adding some fish stock.
Source: Daniel Olivella, executive chef, B-44 Bistro, San Francisco
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes