Babymoon Cafe Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 cup diced pancetta
- 1 cup diced onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 3 cup chicken
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 1 cup great Northern beans
- 2 cup canned
whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoon
chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Salt and pepper to
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, sauté pancetta and
onions 7 to 10 minutes until browned, being careful not to burn onions.
- Add chicken broth, kidney beans, great Northern beans, tomatoes and crushed
red pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally
and adding liquid if necessary to keep beans covered, about 2 hours until beans
- About 15 minutes before serving, add rosemary and sage, and adjust seasoning
with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a good quality grated Parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
Yield: 6 servings
Pancetta is an Italian bacon, cured with salt and spices but not smoked.
In a pinch, you may substitute bacon, but the flavor will be much smokier and sweeter.
It's really worth finding pancetta for authentic flavor.
It is not necessary to presoak the beans for this recipe.