Bali Hai Chicken of the Gods
Tom Ham, the late owner of Bali Hai, created this chicken recipe. It appeared in the Union-Tribune Food section in April 1999. The Bali Hai Restaurant is on Shelter Island. Divine flavors grace Chicken of the Gods.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken pieces
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- Dash white pepper
- 4 ounces chestnut flour (available at Asian markets)
- Oil for browning
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Marinate the chicken in a mixture of egg, salt, sherry, soy sauce
and pepper for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and coat each piece with
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown the chicken, cooking until
- Melt the butter over medium heat and blend in the flour and cornstarch,
- In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the stock slowly to
the butter mixture, stirring rapidly. Continue stirring until combined
and thickened. Reduce the heat and add the cream and salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into neat slices and arrange them on a hot platter.
Cover the chicken with the cream sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.
Yield: 2 servings