Bandana's Blues BBQ Sauce
A versatile sauce suitable for basting or using at tableside as a dipping sauce.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups Spanish onions, diced
- 2 cups red onions, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, finely diced
- 1 head garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 6 oranges, peeled, seeded, and chopped (prefer blood oranges)
- 8 fresh plum tomatoes, peeled and pureed (or a one pound can)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins preferred)
- 8 ounces tamarind sauce, like Pickapeppa or Blue Marlin
- 3 whole lemons, juiced
- 1/3 cup pepper, mixed freshly ground black and white
- 1 cup cumin, whole, toasted then ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup Bandana's Pepper Sauce, Extra Serious preferred OR your choice
- 2 cups orange juice, fresh squeezed
- Heat the oil to smoking and add the brown sugar stirring constantly
till it starts to thicken. Still stirring, first add all the onions and garlic.
- Now, turning down the heat, add the oranges and tomato puree and simmer for 8 - 12 minutes.
- Add the tamarind, Worcestershire, and tomato sauces, also the lemon and orange
juices, and reduce by 1/4.
- Add the ground black, white, and cayenne pepper and cook for 10 more minutes over low to medium heat.
- Now add Bandana's Serious Pepper Sauce of choice.
- Use right away or chill and use within 2 weeks.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes