- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 cups Panko Japanese bread crumbs (see note)
- 1/2 cup finely diced Spanish onions
- 1/3 cup finely diced red peppers, ribs and seeds removed
- 1/3 cup finely diced green peppers, ribs and seeds removed
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pasteurized eggs (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Scant teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Scant teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- In one large clean bowl combine mayonnaise, eggs, lemon juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire
sauce, Old Bay seasoning, salt, pepper, onions and peppers. Mix thoroughly.
- Add bread crumbs and fold in completely. Gently fold in the lump crab keeping
the pieces as large as possible.
- Using a large tablespoon or ice cream scoop portion the crab cake mixture into
3 inches in diameter by 3/4 inch high cakes.
- Lightly dust each cake with flour and drop in a hot (365 degrees F) fryer or
skillet. Cook thoroughly or until each side is golden brown.
Buy a substitute egg product such as Better 'n' Eggs which comes in 1/4
Find Panko bread crumbs, Ian's or another brand, at Whole Foods Markets.
For a garnish: serve with chopped red peppers and a Dijon mustard sauce.
To make the sauce, Achey said to start with mayonnaise, a pinch of dill and add
mustard to taste.
Source: Barnsider's Mile & A Quarter, Providence, Rhode Island - Executive
Chef Bill Sullivan