Bavarian Wurst Haus Black Forest Cherry Soup
- 1 pound pitted sour cherries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup good-quality red wine
- Whipped cream to garnish each serving
- Combine cherries, salt, cinnamon, vanilla, water and sugar in saucepan.
Bring to a boil and boil 20 minutes.
- Strain cherries from hot liquid.
Chop cherries finely with food processor or blender.
- Add cornstarch and wine to hot liquid. Return chopped cherries to
hot liquid and boil 5 minutes.
- Chill well before serving.
- When ready to serve, top each bowl with a little whipping cream.
Yield: about 6 servings
Source: Norbert Holland, executive chef and owner - Bavarian Wurst
Haus, Milwaukee, Wisconsin