Beans & Barley Dal Curry Soup
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups chopped onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons finally grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large soup kettle, heat oil. Add onion and cumin seed and sauté
until onion is translucent.
- Add ginger and jalapeño and cook until pepper is soft.
- Add stock and lentils and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring
- Add tomatoes and all the seasonings except cilantro, salt and pepper.
Cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add cilantro, salt and pepper. Check seasonings and add more salt and
pepper if needed.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8 cups.
Recipe source: Beans & Barley, Milwaukee, Wisconsin