Beans & Barley Ginger Stir-Fry
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
- 1/3 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchstick sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 4 ribs celery, cut on a bias
- 6 ribs bok choy, cut into thin strips (or substitute another vegetable of your choice)
- Cooked rice
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- For Stir-fry Sauce: Heat a wok, then add sesame oil and heat. Add
garlic, ginger and red pepper and cook briefly. Add sherry and reduce by
half. This will take about 7 minutes.
- Add tamari, hoisin sauce and vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water and add to sauce.
Let boil for 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from wok and set aside.
- For stir-fry: Add vegetable oil to wok and heat. Add all the vegetables
and stir-fry, tossing frequently, until heated through but still crisp.
- Add prepared stir-fry sauce and toss together. Heat through a few
minutes, then serve over rice. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Source: Beans & Barley, Milwaukee, Wisconsin