Beans & Barley Hummus and Pita
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cooking liquid, or as needed
- Olive oil for garnish
- Paprika for garnish
- Warmed pita bread, cut into triangles
- Pick over chickpeas and rinse. Place peas in a heavy-bottomed
medium-size pan. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Add a pinch of salt
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are very tender, 1
1/2 to 2 hours. While cooking, stir peas regularly and add water as needed.
- When soft, drain and reserve cooking liquid. Refrigerate cooking liquid
and chickpeas until thoroughly cooled.
- When cool, put chickpeas (not liquid) in a blender or food processor
along with the tahini and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Add garlic, salt, cayenne and cumin and continue to blend. Add 2 to 3
tablespoons of the cooking liquid or as needed to obtain a soft and creamy
- Place hummus in a shallow bowl and garnish with olive oil and sprinkle
- Serve with warm pita bread triangles.
Yield: about 2 cups
Source: Beans & Barley, Milwaukee, Wisconsin