Beans & Barley Joe Cookies
Beans & Barley is a well known and highly acclaimed "health food"
restaurant and deli and store in Milwaukee and I used to walk there many years ago
for one of these cookies. The owner sent me the recipe after I moved to another
state after I told her how much I missed them. Loaded with healthy stuff and made
with wheat flour and other grains, it's hard to eat more than one as they are
pretty dense and the spiced flavor is really unique. Makes great travel snacks as
they are loaded with energy! My family doesn't eat coconut but I like the mini
chocolate chips so I play with this and make up my own combinations.
- 1 pound butter
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups currants
- 6 cups whole walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups whole pecans, chopped
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups peanuts
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup wheat germ
- Cream together butter and brown sugar in electric mixer.
- Add peanut butter and mix well.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- In separate bowl, combine wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger,
and add to wet.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and mix into dough. It will
be stiff. Scoop out heaping tablespoonsful (or larger) and flatten on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes until they look dry, puffed and start
to turn brown at the edges. After 1 minute, transfer to wire racks and cool.
Posted by artsycook at recipegoldmine.com
Source: Beans & Barley Restaurant – Milwaukee, Wisconsin