Bear Moon Bakery Raspberry Squares
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups jam (high quality seedless raspberry jam, or other rich jam — apricot, lemon etc.)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan by
spraying with vegetable spray and lining with a piece of parchment
- In a bowl with the mixer, combine butter and sugar thoroughly until
light and fluffy.
- Add egg, mix in well, then add flour and nuts and mix until they
- Divide dough in half. Gently press half onto the bottom of the pan.
Spread jam evenly over top. Drop the remaining dough in small clumps
evenly over the jam. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 35-40
minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let cool thoroughly before
cutting into squares. At Bear Moon, they let them cool, then turn them out onto food wrap
and gently lay on a baking sheet. They place the sheet in the freezer,
then cut the squares when frozen, thereby getting a clean edge.
- Serve at room temperature.
Yield: 9 generous servings
Source: Bear Moon Bakery, San Antonio, Texas