Beijing Restaurant Lemon Grass Chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped lemon grass *
- 2 cloves shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound (breast or dark meat) chicken, diced (sliced beef or pork can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Additional oil for sautéing, as needed
- 1/2 pound steamed broccoli, for color *
- Steamed rice
* Discard fibrous outer leaves and upper half of the stalk; slice the tender white portion paper-thin and chop fine)
- For Marinade/Meat: Mix together the oil, onion, lemon grass, shallots and garlic. Add chicken meat and mix well. Set aside in refrigerator for about 1-2 hours.
- To Finish: Combine fish sauce, soy sauce, salt and sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet or wok until very hot. Add a little oil, heat, then add chicken mixture and sauté until almost done, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the fish sauce, soy sauce, salt and sugar mixture, add it to
the chicken and stir-fry briefly, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, spooned over a bed of steamed broccoli, along with steamed rice.
Makes 3 or 4 servings.
Source: San Antonio Express-News - Beijing Restaurant, San Antonio, Texas