Bennigan's Monte Cristo
- 6 slices cooked turkey
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices cooked ham
- 6 slices American cheese
- 18 slices wheat bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Oil, for deep frying
- Powdered sugar
- Red raspberry jelly
- Assembly of sandwiches: bread, turkey, Swiss cheese, bread, ham,
American cheese, bread; cut in half diagonally. Whisk flour, baking
powder, and salt together to blend well. Add water to the egg and
add to the flour mixture mixing well.
- Dip each sandwich half into the batter and deep-fry (oil must cover
the sandwich) in oil preheated to 360 degrees F and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil to paper towels. Sprinkle with the powdered sugar.
- Serve with warm/room temperature jelly, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine - May 3, 2001.