Bennigan's Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon ham base *
- 1 quart chicken base *
- 6 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1/4 pound yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound potatoes, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces flour
- 1 cup milk
- Chopped parsley for garnish
* If you do not have soup base available, please use a piece
of ham or chicken for this.
- Combine ham and chicken bases in a saucepan and whisk until no lumps
- Melt 3 tablespoons margarine in a stockpot and sauté onions until
- Add potato and pepper and stir until completely mixed.
- Add chicken and ham stock and stir until mixture begins to boil.
- While mixture is boiling, microwave the remaining 3 tablespoons
margarine 20 seconds or until melted.
- Whisk flour into melted margarine
and stir until it forms a roux into the stock. The soup will start
- Bring soup back to a boil, then slowly add the milk,
whisking constantly. When milk is incorporated remove from heat.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine - May 3, 2001
Source: Houston Chronicle