Bennigan's Ultimate Baked Potato Soup
- 3 pounds all-purpose potatoes, scrubbed and pierced in several places
- 1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Crumbled bacon
- Chopped scallions
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake potatoes 1 hour or until tender when pierced.
- Peel when cool enough to handle.
- Melt butter in a 4- to 6-quart pot over medium low heat. Stir in
onions and garlic; cover and cook 10 minutes until soft, but not
- Add 2/3 of the potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add
broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cut remaining potatoes in small cubes. Add to soup and stir gently
- Sprinkle each serving with toppings.
Yields 8 (1 cup) servings or 4 main dish servings
Source: Woman's Day magazine