Bhindi Bazaar Indian Cafe Chicken Cafreal
- 1 3/4 pounds chicken
- 12 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/4 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4-5 green chiles, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- Clean and cut chicken into 8-10 pieces.
- Combine 4 tablespoons oil, the yogurt, turmeric and salt to taste,
and toss with the chicken to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat the remaining 8 tablespoon oil in a thick, heavy-bottom frying
pan. Sauté the onions until they are translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic and salt to taste. Sauté for 2 minutes;
add cumin and coriander and sauté for another 2 minutes. Let cool and puree in a food processor to make a fine paste. Set aside.
- In the food processor, puree the chopped cilantro, green chilies
and lemon juice to a fine paste. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the yogurt, reserving the marinade. Pour
the onion-tomato paste back into the frying pan, add cup water and
the marinated chicken pieces and cook on medium heat, covered, for
10 minutes. Add the cilantro paste and the yogurt marinade and simmer
until the chicken is done - approximately 5 more minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning. Serve with cooked basmati rice.
Source: Bhindi Bazaar Indian Cafe, Boston, Massachusetts