Bidwell Street Bistro Lemon Curd Napoleon
- 5 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 ounces sweet butter
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (12 x 18-inch) sheet of puff pastry dough
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- confectioners' sugar to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare the curd, mix all ingredients together in a stainless
steel bowl. Bring a pot of water to a simmer and place mixing bowl
on top. Cook, stirring, until butter is melted, then stir constantly
until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Place mixing
bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice to chill curd.
- Put together pastry by cutting 12 circles of dough with a 2 1/2-inch
cookie cutter. Place pastry on parchment paper. Mix together one
teaspoon milk and one egg yolk. Brush circles with mixture.
circles at 400 degrees F until golden brown.
- Prepare whipped cream by combining ingredients in a large bowl.
Beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, cut pastry circles in half along their width (to produce
two thinner rounds). Put a dollop of whipped cream on the center
of the plate. Place one piece of pastry on the whipped cream. Top
with a tablespoon of lemon curd and a tablespoon of whipped cream.
Place a few berries on top and repeat the step. Cover with a third
pastry round. Garnish the plate with a few more berries and serve.
Source: Bidwell Street Bistro, Sacramento, California