Black Dog Cranberry Almond Scones
Here is a recipe for awesome Scones, from "The Black Dog"
in Martha's Vineyard.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup light cream
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sift together the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs until fluffy, then stir in the light
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the
egg mixture. Drop in the cranberries and the almonds, reserving
some almond slices to sprinkle on top before baking.
- Gently mix in wet and dry ingredients together into loose dough.
Do not over-mix. Drop the dough onto a lightly floured board, knead
briefly and divide into two equal portions. Form these into two
rounds, patting down to a thickness of about 3/4 inch. Place together
on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the top of each round with the reserved toasted almonds
and score the rounds with a knife into 6 wedges.
- Bake for 15 to
18 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean and the tops
are lightly brown.
- Remove to a rack to cool briefly, serve warm.
Yield 12 to 16.
This recipe instructs you to form them into rounds, but if you're
in a hurry you can drop the batter by large spoonsful onto a greased
baking sheet and decrease the baking time to 12 to 15 minutes.
Posted by Don at Recipe Goldmine 10/30/2001 2:17 pm.