Black Kettle Double Fudge Torte
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/3 cups water Icing (see recipe)
- 2 cups fudge topping for ice cream (divided)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With electric mixer, mix eggs slightly, slowly adding sugar while
mixing. When incorporated, beat on medium speed 5 minutes or until
light in color.
- Add vanilla and mayonnaise and mix until combined. With mixer running,
alternately add sifted flour mixture and water. Mix 2 minutes longer
on medium speed.
- Divide batter into baking pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 30
minutes or until center is firm.
- Cool cakes on wire racks 10 minutes
then invert pans to remove cakes. Cool completely.
- Prepare icing:
With electric mixer, whip cream until stiff. Set aside. Beat cream
cheese, powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla extract until smooth.
Fold in whipped cream in small amounts.
- To assemble: Split each cake layer in half lengthwise with serrated
knife. Top first layer with 1 cup hot fudge topping.
- Place second layer over that and spread with layer of icing.
- Top with third layer, then cover with 1 cup hot fudge topping.
- Add fourth layer and ice entire cake with remaining icing.
until ready to serve.
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
Source: Black Kettle Restaurant - Milwaukee, Wisconsin