Black Kettle Pepper Steak
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt)
- 4 green bell peppers, seeded, cut into 1 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms (leave whole if small, otherwise slice) salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 pound beef tenderloin (cut into 2-inch squares, 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Sauterne wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 firm, ripe tomatoes, cut into large pieces
- In butter in large sauté pan, sauté garlic or garlic salt, bell
peppers and mushrooms for 2 to 3 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender.
Turn often to prevent browning. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon
pepper and the oregano. Remove from heat; set aside to keep warm.
- In cast-iron pan, sauté meat in oil. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each
side over medium-high heat until brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour off oil, add wine and tomato sauce. Cover and steam about 5
minutes, turning several times.
- Combine meat and vegetable mixtures and cook over medium heat just
until heated through, turning several times. Do not overcook.
- Add tomatoes and serve immediately over rice pilaf or garlic buttered
Yield: 2 large servings
Source: Black Kettle Restaurant - Milwaukee, Wisconsin