Blue Bayou Monte Cristo Sandwich
This is the famous Monte Cristo sandwich recipe from the Blue Bayou
restaurant in New Orleans Square at Disneyland.
Monte Cristo Sandwich is served with currant jelly sauce. First prepare this,
then make the batter. While it is chilling, put together the sandwiches. When
the sandwiches are fried, the complete service is ready.
Currant Jelly Sauce
- 2/3 cup currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 small egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Few drops yellow food coloring
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 slices white bread
- 4 slices turkey (1 ounce each)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices Pullman ham
- Soybean or vegetable oil for frying
- confectioners' sugar
- Currant jelly sauce
- Currant Jelly Sauce: Combine jelly, water and half-and-half in blender and mix until smooth.
- Batter: Place water, egg, salt, pepper and food coloring in a bowl
and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking
powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill.
- Sandwiches: Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between hand and turkey. Cut into
fourths and put a wooden pick through each quarter.
- Final Preparation: Heat about 6-inches of oil to 340 degrees F in a fryer.
- Dip sandwiches into batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden
brown, turning as needed.
- Remove from oil, take out wooden picks, sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar.
- Serve with currant jelly sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine - May 21, 2001.