Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery
Turtle Pecan Cheesecake
- 4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 12 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) bag light (vanilla) caramels
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted (see note)
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels, melted
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk *
- Whipped cream
- Pecan halves dipped in caramel
- For crust: Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter; press
mixture onto bottom and sides of a buttered 10-inch springform pan
(2 inches deep). Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 10 to 15 minutes.
Set aside to cool.
- For filling: In heavy saucepan, melted caramels with evaporated
milk over low heat, , stirring frequently until smooth. (If desired,
dip a few pecans into caramel mixture and set aside to use later
as a garnish.) Pour caramel mixture over cooled crust; top with
- Combine cream cheese and sugar, mixing on medium speed until well
blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Add vanilla. Blend in melted chocolate. Pour mixture over pecans
and caramel in crust, starting at outer edge.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven 1 hour and 20 to 25 minutes, or until
edges begin to crack. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature
for 30 to 40 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove sides
of pan and loosen cheesecake with spatula.
- For chocolate topping: Melt chocolate morsels on medium heat in
microwave. Add evaporated milk (or 2 percent milk and butter; see
note). Stir until mixture is smooth.
- Spread chocolate topping over chilled cheesecake. Garnish with dollops
of whipped cream and pecan halves dipped in caramel, if desired.
- Keep refrigerated.
* If you don't want to open another can for the 3 tablespoons
evaporated milk, you can substitute 3 tablespoons 2 percent milk
and 2 teaspoons butter.
To toast pecans: Put 1 tablespoon butter or margarine in a 9-inch
pie plate. Microwave until melted. Stir in 1 cup pecans, tossing
to coat. Microwave on HIGH 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine - May 18, 2001.
Source: Blue Owl Restaurant and Bakery, Kimmswick, Missouri