Bob Marley's Restaurant Reggae:
Jerk Marinated Chicken Breast Skewers
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Jamaican pimento (allspice)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 hot pepper, finely ground (or 2 Scotch bonnet peppers)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cider or white vinegar
- 2 pounds chicken breast, diced 1/2-inch thick
- 12 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 2 hours
- Green tai leaves
- 2 pounds fresh yucca, peeled, cut into fries
- 1 recipe Cucumber Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Fresh pineapple wedges
Cucumber Dipping Sauce
- 25 ounces cucumber
- 7 ounces sour cream
- 7 ounces mayonnaise
- 1 ounce cider vinegar
- 1/2 ounce salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 ounce Dijon mustard
- 1/2 ounce chopped garlic
- For the marinade: mix together onion, scallion, thyme, salt, sugar,
allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, hot pepper, black pepper, soy sauce,
oil and vinegar. These ingredients can also be combined in a food
- Skewer 2 1/2 ounces of chicken onto each skewer. Place the skewers
in a shallow baking dish and cover with the marinade. Marinate in
the refrigerator overnight.
- Heat the fryer.
- Place the skewers onto a hot grill and grill until done, about 2
to 3 minutes per side.
- Place the Yucca fries in the fryer and fry
the fries until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Season with salt.
- Place 3 of the skewers on the left side of the
plate. Place green tai leaf on the other end of the plate and top
with a wedge of fresh pineapple. Place 6 ounces of cooked yucca
fries in the middle of the plate. Place 3 ounces of cucumber sauce
in a soufflé cup next to the skewers and serve.
- Cucumber Dipping Sauce:
Peel and seed cucumbers and roughly chop. Add sour cream and mayonnaise.
- Add remaining ingredients and puree in a blender.
Yield: about 1 1/2 quarts, 4 servings
Posted by GayleL at Recipe Goldmine 7/17/01 5:11:00 pm.