Bob Evans Gingered Buttermilk Breakfast Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and ginger in large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until coarse
crumbs form. Reserve 1/2 cup mixture for topping; set aside.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk. Add buttermilk mixture, egg,
molasses and salt to flour mixture; blend well.
- Pour into greased 11 x 7-inch baking pan. Top with reserved topping
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into
center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack. cut into 2
Yield: 18 servings