Bob's Clam Hut Chowder
(Thick-Creamy Maine Style)
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cut 1/4 inch and diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 5 cups clam juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups minced clams
- 4 cups heavy cream
- Combine potatoes, onion, celery, 1 cup of the clam juice, 1 cup water, thyme, butter, Worcestershire, salt and pepper to taste in stockpot or Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, stirring often. Reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in clams and cook 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 4 cups clam juice and cream. Heat to a simmer, about 10 minutes. Do not boil.