Bob’s Clam Hut Maine Lobster Stew
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups onions, finely diced in food processor
- 6 cups lobster stock (water, tomato paste, onions, peppers, celery, lobster bodies)
- 4 cups water
- 8 cups celery – 1/4 inch dice
- 8 cups carrots – 1/4 inch dice
- 8 cups pre-cooked potatoes
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons chopped chives
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sherry wine
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 quarts heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 6 pounds lobster meat – 2 inch pieces
- In a stockpot, melt the butter over low heat until bubbling. Do not burn.
- Add the onion and caramelize over medium heat; do not let them brown.
- Add the lobster stock, water, cayenne, celery, carrots, potatoes, chives and
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked, (soft but hold up), about
- Add the milk and cream and bring to a boil. Immediately turn down the heat.
- While the cream and milk are warming, add the extra-virgin olive oil to a sauté
pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is smoking add the lobster meat and season
with salt and pepper, to taste. When the lobster meat is warm, deglaze the pan with
- Add the warmed lobster meat and juices to cream mixture. Season with salt and
pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into serving bowls and serve.
Source: Bob's Clam Hut
Recipe and photo credit: Maine Lobster Marketing Collaborative.