Bombay Cafe Tortilla Soup
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ripe red tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 green tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4 tomatillos, chopped
- 2/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Juice of 3 limes
- 8 cups rich chicken stock
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch wide strips
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large avocado, diced (optional)
- Fry tortillas in 1/2 inch of oil in deep skillet until golden brown.
Remove from oil and season with salt.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat 4 tablespoons of oil. When
oil is hot, sauté onions, garlic, jalapeno and crushed red pepper.
Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomatillos and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, cilantro, bay leaves and lime juice.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Using a hand-held blender, puree soup until smooth. Re-season soup
to taste. Simmer 2 more minutes.
- To serve. Place several tortilla strips in bottom of bowl and ladle
soup over strips. Garnish with diced avocados.
Posted by Gayle at Recipe Goldmine 7/25/2001 9:32 pm
Source: The Birmingham News - May 9, 2001