Boulders Resort and Golden Door Spa
Vegetarian Chili of the Sonoran Desert
- 1 ancho chile
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 ears corn on the cob, roasted
- 1 prickly pear cactus pad (napale), roasted
- 1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic, roasted, pureed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 quarts tomato juice (low sodium if desired)
- 2 cups anasazi beans
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Heat large pot and sauté onions with scant amount of oil.
- Add potassium broth (tomato juice),stock, beans and bring to a simmer.
Deseed the ancho chiles and break up into small pieces and add to
simmering broth. Add garlic puree, paprika, chili powder and tomatoes.
Cook until beans are soft and consistency is slightly thick. Adjust
consistency with stock as needed. Season to taste with sea salt.
- Cut corn from the cob and small dice the cactus; add at time of
service so small amount is visible on top of chili in the bowl as
Source: Chef Scott Strubinger, Boulders Resort and Golden Door Spa,