Buca di Beppo Penne Calabrese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 pound Italian bulk sausage
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 medium bunches escarole, chopped
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound penne
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 cup ricotta salata cheese, diced in 1/4-inch cubes *
* This is a hard, aged version of ricotta cheese.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat olive oil and add sausage. Brown
well, breaking up meat as it cooks. Add garlic and cook until golden
brown. Add escarole, tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes and salt.
Sauté for a few minutes. Add chicken stock. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until al dente.
Drain well and add to skillet. Sprinkle with cheese and toss well.
- Place on a serving platter and garnish with ricotta salata cheese.
Serving size: 4
Source: Into the Sauce, From Our Cucina to Your Kitchen