Buca di Beppo Spaghetti with
Garlic Oil and Vegetables
(Spaghetti Aglio Olio Peperoncino)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup julienned (cut in matchsticks) red onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (sliced into 1/4-inch "coins")
- 3 cups fresh small mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups sliced zucchini (cut into 1/4-inch "coins")
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided use
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, mushrooms,
zucchini and garlic. Cook until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Keep warm.
- Cook spaghetti in generous amount of boiling water until cooked al dente.
- Drain spaghetti, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Add
reserved 1 cup cooking water to vegetables.
- Add spaghetti to vegetable mixture.
- Add half of cheese; toss.
- Divide among 6 serving bowls, making sure to evenly divide vegetables.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition data per serving: Calories 438 (37 percent from fat);
17.9 g fat (sat 5 g, mono 10.4 g, poly 1.6 g); protein 16 g; carbohydrates
55 g; fiber 3.21 g; cholesterol 19 mg; sodium 753 mg; calcium 237
Source: Buca di Beppo Restaurant