Bullpepper's Chile con Queso, Mexico City Style
(Queso con Rajas de Chile)
- 1 poblano chile
- Additional serrano or jalapeno chiles (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded asadero cheese (or Monterey jack or mozzarella cheese)
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- Salt, to taste
- Corn chips or flour tortillas
- Roast the poblano chile, then peel and remove stem and seeds. (If
desired, roast a couple of serrano or jalapeño chiles at the same
time; seed and mince.) Slice poblano into thin strips (rajas).
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté just until
the onion is transparent. Add the poblano strips, cheese and half-and-half
and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese is
creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt. Transfer to a heated chafing dish and
serve immediately, along with chips or tortillas.
- Recipe can be increased if desired.
Yield: about 1 cup
Source: Bullpepper's, San Antonio, Texas - San Antonio Express-News