Buttermilk Truck Famous Biscuits
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted Real California butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup Real California buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted Real California butter
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir dry ingredients together with a fork. With a pastry
blender, cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well
in the center and add buttermilk. With your hands or a rubber spatula, quickly
fold together dry ingredients and buttermilk until a sticky dough forms. Turn
dough out onto a floured surface; roll out 3/4-inch thick. With a 3-inch biscuit
cutter, cut dough into rounds. Transfer to a sheet pan and brush with melted
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 6 biscuits
Tip: Buttermilk Truck uses these biscuits for their popular Buttermilk Brick
breakfast sandwich. To make it at home, place 2 buttermilk biscuits on a bed of
hash-brown potatoes, top with 2 over-easy eggs and chorizo gravy. If desired, sprinkled
with grated Real California Cheddar cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Buttermilk Truck, Los Angeles, California.
Recipe and photo credit: California Milk Advisory Board