Byerly's Gingerbread Men
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup light molasses
- Grated zest from 1 orange
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, molasses and finely chopped
orange peel. Blend in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate, covered,
for several hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll dough on floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness for crisp cookies
or 1/4 inch thick for softer cookies. Cut out with gingerbread man
- Place one inch apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake until
lightly browned; start checking after 6 minutes, as they burn quickly.
- Cool and decorate as desired.
Source: The Best of Byerly's - vvdailypress.com