Cafe Cartago Costa Rican Raisin Cake
Yield: 9 servings
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix cornstarch and coffee in saucepan until smooth. Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Add raisins and nuts and set aside while preparing batter.
- Beat butter until soft and fluffy. Add brown sugar and remaining white sugar and continue beating until thick and light in color. Add cream of tartar and baking soda together and add alternately with milk. Add vanilla extract and mix well. Pour 1/2 the batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Spread with raisin mixture and cover with remaining batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool and turn out of pan and cut into nine squares.
Source: Cafe Cartago, Commerce City, Colorado - Specialty Recipe