Cafe Noche Chicken Acapulco
with Creamy Shrimp Sauce
- 4 large poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, lightly cooked, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 pound Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 (8 ounce) chicken breasts, halved, deboned and pounded flat
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 12 (6-inch long) strings
- Oil, for frying
Creamy Shrimp Sauce
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup fish stock or chicken broth
- 1 pound small shrimp
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3/4 pound butter
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Chicken: Place poblano peppers under the broiler and char on all sides.
Put in plastic bag and freeze 10 minutes. Remove from freezer, rub off peel, then
slit to remove seeds under running water.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium sauté pan, sauté onion, shrimp and cilantro until the shrimp are
almost cooked, about 5 minutes. Place in mixture in a bowl, add the cheese and set
- Lay the four prepared chicken breasts flat, skin-side down. Season with salt
and white pepper. Layer each breast with one pepper and 2 to 3 tablespoons shrimp/cheese
mixture over pepper. Roll each breast tightly to form a cylinder. Tie each cylinder
in 3 places, both ends and in the middle.
- In a skillet, heat about 1/4 inch of oil. Lightly brown chicken breasts, one
at a time, on all sides.
- Remove from heat, transfer to an ovenproof dish and bake for 10 minutes until
- Remove from oven. Cut strings and slice chicken into 1-inch roulades (rounds).
Drizzle a few tablespoons of Creamy Shrimp Sauce onto a plate and arrange the roulades
on top of the sauce.
- Serve warm.
- Creamy Shrimp Sauce: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine shallots and
wine. Cook until reduced by three-fourths. Add stock/broth and shrimp and cook until
reduced by half. Add the cream and reduce again by half. Whisk in the butter by
tablespoons. Cook until butter melts and sauce is well blended. Remove from heat.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Cafe Noche, Houston, Texas
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Restaurant Recipes