Cafe Brenda Chocolate Carrot Cake
- 2 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/3 cups unbleached
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups honey
- 2/3 cup vegetable
- 2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup
buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon
rum, crème de cacao, or Grand Mariner
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt chocolate in a double broiler and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt,
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add honey and beat until light. Add oil and beat
again. Stir in vanilla extract and lemon zest. Add cooled chocolate and mix well.
Stir in buttermilk. Stir in dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in carrots.
- Pour batter into two 9-inch buttered and floured cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes
or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool
- Take out of pan and frost.
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat butter, add cream cheese, and beat until
smooth and creamy. Add honey or syrup and beat again. Add cocoa, coffee, and liquor.
Beat until well combined.
Makes enough frosting to fill and frost one 9-inch double-layer cake.