Casa Ole Chili con Queso
- 5 pounds American cheese, grated
- 3 1/4 cups (26 ounces) water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (see note)
- 1 cup chopped celery (see note)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (see note)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno (see note)
- Combine cheese and 3 cups water in the top of a double boiler and bring to a
boil. Stir every 5 minutes.
- While cheese is melting, combine onion, celery, bell
pepper and jalapeno in saucepan and add 1/4 cup water. Sauté over medium heat until
vegetables come to a light boil.
- When cheese has melted and is smooth, add vegetables and mix thoroughly. Simmer
for 5 minutes.
This makes a large amount; recipe could be cut in half or thirds.
Amounts are approximate. The file recipe calls for 13 ounces chopped onion,
9 ounces chopped celery, 10 ounces chopped bell pepper and 1 3/4 ounces chopped
Source: Casa Ole, Houston, Texas - Another oft-requested recipe from Chronicle
files. This is adapted from the smallest batch Case Ole makes, which calls for 45
pounds of cheese.
Please shop Amazon here. We are an Amazon affiliate to help maintain Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.