Chevy's Fresh Mex Margarita Scallops
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup 1/2-inch green onion pieces
- 1 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound large sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime, quartered
- 3 teaspoons minced cilantro
- Place all ingredients except scallops and olive oil in a blender or food processor
and puree. Taste the mixture and add more jalapeno as desired. Transfer the mixture
to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Rinse scallops in cold water, and pat dry.
- In a nonstick sauté pan over high heat, heat the olive oil just until smoking.
Add the scallops to the sauté pan and sear well without stirring or tossing. Add
the citrus mixture to the pan, and bring to a boil. When the liquid reaches a boil,
turn the scallops and cook for a minute more. Remove the scallops, cover to keep
warm, and reduce the sauce to half its original volume over high heat.
- To serve, divide the scallops among the plates. Pour the liquid from the pan
directly over the plates. Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro.
Source: Executive Chef Peter Serantoni