Chevy's Fresh Mex Sweet Corn Tomalito
- 5 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup Masa Harina
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed, divided
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon milk
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the margarine, masa and sugar using an electric mixer
until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- In a blender container, blend half the corn kernels with the water until smooth.
Combine this mixture with the margarine mixture, stirring well.
- Add the remaining corn kernels, corn meal, baking powder, salt and milk and mix well.
- Pour the corn mixture into an 8-inch square baking pan. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and steam
by setting atop a medium saucepan of water on top of the stove. Bring water to a
boil and steam corn mixture for 50 minutes to one hour (check to see whether you
might need to add more water), until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes
out clean. Tomalito should have a smooth, moist texture.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.
The pan must be tightly wrapped at all times.
Approximate values per serving: 87 calories, 4 g fat, 0 cholesterol,13 g
carbohydrates, 119 mg sodium, 36 percent calories from fat
Source: Chevy's Fresh Mex Restaurant