Chez Nous Red Soaked Fresh Fruit Cake
- 1 sponge cake
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup red or black currants, stemmed
- 1 1/2 cups red cherries, pitted
- 1 ounce kirsch (clear cherry brandy)
- Strawberry Sauce
- Heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- 1 pint ripe strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 6 ounces mineral water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, mix all the fruits and partially crush the fruit with the back
of a spoon to release some of the juices. Sprinkle with kirsch. Cover and refrigerate.
Prepare the cake.
- To assemble: Line a round, 3-quart mold with plastic wrap. Line again with 1/2-inch
slices of cake, pressing to make sure the slices take the shape of the mold. Fill
the cake-lined mold with the refrigerated fruits and cover with more slices of cake.
Press down with a weight, such as a heavy plate and refrigerate 24 hours or overnight.
- Unmold with the help of the plastic wrap or by running a sharp knife around the
edge, turn out on serving plate. Decorate with the whipped cream, strawberry sauce,
and mint leaves.
- To prepare the Strawberry Sauce: In a blender, process the berries with the mineral
water until pureed.
Yield: 8 servings
Source: Chez Nous, Humble, Texas