Cream Puffery Pastry Shop & Cafe
Classic Cuban Guava Pie
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ounce cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (1 pound) can guava paste
- Cream butter with sugar and eggs. Incorporate dry ingredients with water and
vanilla. Don't over-mix or crust will be tough.
- Chill dough for 1/2 hour.
- Get two 8-inch pie pans ready. Divide dough, roll out bottom crust and place
in pie dish.
- Line bottom crust with thinly sliced guava paste.
- Roll top crust and cover. Egg wash and score decoratively.
Yield: 2 (8-inch) pies
Unbaked pie can be kept in freezer for up to 1 month. Bake in 350 degree F oven
until golden, approximately 40 minutes. If baking a frozen pie, allow an additional
10 to 20 minutes baking time.
Source: Chef Amy DeWitt, The Cream Puffery Pastry Shop & Cafe, Boulder, Colorado