Crest Cafe Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes
Serve with fresh strawberries and bananas. Top the fruit with a sprinkling
of grated lemon peel and offer warm maple syrup or Berry Coulis to drizzle over
the fruit and cakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk
buttermilk, egg yolks, and lemon peel to blend. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour
mixture just until evenly moistened. Gently stir in ricotta cheese.
- In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
With a flexible spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter just until they
- Place a nonstick griddle or a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat (350
degrees F). When hot, coat lightly with oil and adjust heat to maintain temperature.
Drop batter in 1/2-cup portions onto the griddle and cook until pancakes are browned
on the bottom and edges begin to look dry, about 2 minutes; turn cakes with a wide
spatula and brown other sides, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Coat pan with more oil
as necessary to cook remaining pancakes.
- Serve pancakes as cooked, or keep warm in a single layer on baking sheets in
a 200 degree F oven for up to 15 minutes.
Makes about 8 pancakes.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 7/24/02 1:21:20 pm.
Source: Crest Cafe, San Diego, California - Sunset Magazine