Damon's Pecan-Crusted Fluffy Sweet Potatoes
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 1/2 cups cooked sweet potato pieces or 1 (40 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- inch pie plate with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.
- Using a food processor or electric mixer, beat the sweet potatoes, egg whites and flour just until smooth. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pie plate and bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the Pecan Crust.
- Place brown sugar and butter in a small microwaveable bowl. Heat on high power for about 20 seconds, until melted. Carefully remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and top with the pecans. Drizzle the brown sugar mixture over the pecans. Return to the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes, until golden and bubbly.
Source: The Columbus Dispatch - Wednesday, May 3, 2000 - Recipe by Ann McDowell, Columbus, Ohio