Desmond O'Malley's Colcannon
Yield: 8 servings
- 6 to 10 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 sticks (2 cups) butter
- 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced thin
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- Place potatoes in pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and let cook until soft and falling apart.
- Drain and set aside to let excess water evaporate.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a separate pot.
- Add cabbage, scallions and garlicand simmer until soft.
- Using an electric mixer with a whipping attachment, or a whisk, whip the potatoes.
- Add the cream and whip again.
- Fold in the butter-vegetable mixture.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 2/27/2002 12:59 pm.
Source: BostonHerald.com - from Executive Chef Dawson Frock, Desmond O'Malley's